Friday, February 5, 2016

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT

Our hurdles came in today! I was able to order them from proceeds from our 1/2 marathon. I have to put them together tomorrow or I probably would have posted a picture! 

As I was walking toward the truck I became a little emotional ( I think it's because I am getting older) thinking about what these will mean to the team and to the kids who will actually get to use real hurdles in practice. I thought about the parents who have worked every concession, who have worked every race, who have paid every fee, and done all I have asked to help our team. 

I sat and listened to our governor last night who wants to build new prisons for the state. I am sure that every thing needed will be provided in these prisons. It sickens me to think that my kids can't get what they need to support a sport they love without shelling out money of their own or parents and coaches working and asking for donations. 

Four hurdles....I got them four hurdles...and it made my day. I really don't mean to complain. I speak for a lot of coaches through out Limestone county when I say our kids shine and push through these drawbacks to excel in our sport without the state of the art facilities we compete in from time to time. They "make do" and in all honesty do so without much complaining. But it is still that look on their faces when we go places that have the best that puts a dagger through my heart. 


Coaching cross country and track is something that I enjoy and winning feels great when it happens, but again the kids mean it all to me. Give them the tools they need to succeed! Thanks to all who support us. Without it there would not be teams or the opportunity for the kids to excel. Great kids doing great thing all over Limestone County! Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment